E. Noreen Banks-Ware
An Overview of Your Rights as a Divorcing Father
If you are a father who is facing divorce in Georgia, it’s important that you understand your rights. One way to understand your rights as a divorcing father is to hire an experienced Georgia divorce lawyer. A Georgia divorce attorney will assist you throughout the divorce process, and she will ensure that you are given every legal opportunity to remain an active part of your child’s life. Therefore, if you are considering a divorce in Georgia, please review the information below, and contact a Lithonia County divorce lawyer as soon as possible for assistance.
Your rights as a father
As a divorcing father, you have child custody rights equal to that of your child’s mother. Some of these rights include:
- The right to provide for your child financially
- The right to retain emotional ties with your child
- The right to provide your child with a stable environment
- The right to remove your child from an abusive situation
How to improve your chances for child custody
In most cases, divorcing parents each seek custody during the divorce process. Therefore, if both you and your wife wish to obtain custody of your child, you need to take certain steps to improve your chances of a favorable outcome. Above all, you must demonstrate to the court that you are a loving and capable parent. Ways to do this include:
- Ensure that your relationship with your child is strong – Courts favor fathers who have good relationships with their children. Therefore, continue to strengthen your relationship with your child during the divorce process.
- Remain active in your child’s life – Related to the point above, remaining active in your child’s life both increases your chances of a favorable result in court and is great for the child. Staying involved in your child’s education, sporting events, and general upbringing is vital during the divorce process.
- Make sure your child is comfortable at your home – You should make every effort to ensure that your child is comfortable in your new home. Courts examine this factor when making custody decisions.
- Respect your ex – By being respectful towards your ex, you demonstrate to the court that you are mature and capable of cooperating for the sake of your child.
Contact Our Lithonia Divorce Attorney
If you are a father who is considering a divorce in Georgia, you need an experienced divorce lawyer to represent your interests. At the law office of E.N. Banks-Ware, we work to help clients achieve positive outcomes in divorce proceedings. Equally adept at managing highly contested divorces or negotiating settlements, our primary concern is protecting your interests and the well-being of your children. In addition, when a satisfactory settlement cannot be reached, we are fully prepared to represent our clients in court. Therefore, if you are a father who is considering a divorce in Lithonia County or elsewhere in Georgia, please contact us today for a free consultation.